Colin Shaw

Colin Shaw is regarded as one of the best sprinters from South Australia, having won hundreds of races in his racing carrer.
Shaw won every South Australia title except the 5000 metres pursuit, State titles were a yearly collection and was named the ” The Basher” as Shaw would go through the eye of the needle, if the gap wasn’t there he would make it.
Shaw enlisted in the forces as many cyclists did at the time of War and devoted himself as the Army cook.
Coming out of enlistment, Shaw was determined to become one of the sports greats and began his assault on the track.
In 1943 Shaw married Pearl Cutting who was then a female cyclist.
Acquiring many victories in his quest Shaw also was taking multiple wins at meets, in 1949 a treble victory at the Broken Hill Cycling clubs meet, winning the senior Wheel-Race, the Half mile and the scratch race.
In 1952 Shaw defeated Billy Guyatt at the Norwood Arena and remained as one of the big threats to competing cyclists, in the same year he followed up his top form with wins at Murray Bridge and a double win at Echunga.
Bad luck came his way in 1953 when Shaw was disqualified for six months for unnecessarily rough riding causing Frank Spears and Keith Thurgood to fall however it was during this time off he allowed himself to train harder with trainer Jack Mariner who was a former road champion to come out of suspension in better form.
His return in 1954 would have Shaw line-up against international riders at the Norwood Arena with newspapers giving headline of his return.
Shaw’s most favourable win was beating Reg Harris in New Zealand in 1956, the Grand Prix of New Zealand; he also won the Auckland wheel race from scratch and the Aces 5-mile and his biggest thrill was the Adelaide Six-day win with victory against Keith Reynolds.
Shaw noted his toughest opponents were Eddie Smith and Max Rowley and named Sid Patterson as the greatest trackman.
Shaw also had a number of falls during his career, some bad luck at the Whyalla carnival where Shaw broke his scapular bone and collar bone and 12 months at the same venue he repeated the feat plus two ribs.
Shaw was big on training; he rode 350 miles a week during the road season and 250 miles during the track season and at age 41 years Shaw was still winning races at which many termed the veteran age, his time away from the cycle he was Manager at the Super Elliott’s store in King William Street, Adelaide.